The student news site of Eustis High School

The Paw Print

Exercise plan for certain body parts

Keishawna Cummings, Reporter

Everyone wants that summer body for when they hit the beach over summer break. Most importantly, we all want a flat stomach with nicely toned abs. For that, the perfect ab workout routine is just what you need to accomplish your body goal. This is the perfect routine for you that will leave your stomach looking flat and toned.

First, we will start off with a side plank so get ready! The first step is to lie on your right side with your legs straight. Prop yourself up with your right forearm so your body forms a diagonal line. Then, rest your left hand on your hip. Brace your abs and hold for 60 seconds. If you can’t make it to 60 seconds, hold for 5 to 10 seconds and rest for 5; continue for 1 minute. Be sure your hips and knees stay off the floor.

Up Next, is a lunge with rotation. Grab a 5- to 15-pound dumbbell with both hands. Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms straight out (A). Take a big step forward with your left foot and, bracing your abs, twist your torso to the left as you bend your knees and lower your body until both of your legs form 90-degree angles (B). Twist back to center, push off your left foot, and stand back up. Repeat on the other leg. That’s 1 rep. Do 2 or 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps. keep your elbows straight but not locked.

Lastly, we have a plank with arm lift. Get into the plank position (toes and forearms on the floor, body lifted). Your body should form a straight line (A). Brace your abs and carefully shift your weight to your right forearm. Extend your left arm in front of you (B) and hold for 3 to 10 seconds. Slowly bring your arm back in. Repeat with the right arm. That’s 1 rep. Do 2 or 3 sets of 5 to 10 reps, resting for 1 minute between sets.
Try these three times every week and you will be on your way to having the perfect summer body. Remember to eat healthy and drink lots of water!