The student news site of Eustis High School

The Paw Print

Calf Muscle Exercises

Keishawna Cummings, Reporter

Summer is right around the corner, and having nice abs is just as important as having nicely toned legs. This routine will help you to accomplish the goal of having the body that you have always wanted but not motivated enough to get up and do.

First start with a barbell squat.

1. First, Begin with the barbell supported on top of the traps. The chest should be up and the head facing forward. Adopt a hip-width stance with the feet turned out as needed.
  2. Descend by flexing the knees, refraining from moving the hips back as much as possible. This requires that the knees travel forward. Ensure that they stay align with the feet. The goal is to keep the torso as upright as possible.
  3. Continue all the way down, keeping the weight on the front of the heel. At the moment the upper legs contact the lower legs reverse the motion, driving the weight upward. Do this at a set of 10×2, and you will be one step closer to your goal.

Up next is dumbbell walking lunges.

1. Begin by standing with your feet about hip-width apart and holding dumbbells in your hands down by your side. This will be your starting position.
  2. Step forward with one leg, flexing the knees to drop your hips. Descend until your rear knee nearly touches the ground. Your posture should remain upright, and your front knee should be in line with your front foot. Do not allow your front knee to go forward beyond your toes as you come down, as this will put undue stress on the knee joint.
  3. Drive through the heel of your lead foot and extend both knees to raise yourself back up.
  4. Step forward with your rear foot, repeating the lunge on the opposite leg.
  5. Repeat this process at a set of 10×3 to keep those calves toned and summer ready!

That’s  it for now, repeat these exercises 3-4 times every week and by the time summer comes around, you will have the perfect body.